If you’re not familiar with “My Cosmetics Quest,” it’s a journey I set for myself back in November of 2012 (you can read what sparked it off here). You can also catch up by reading related posts on face cream, body lotion, makeup primer, hair colouring, and shampoos and conditioners.
Okay, let’s talk lip colour.
Half the time, I forget to apply any kind of lip colour to my lips before running out the door. But really, I look much better with a bit of colour on me. Especially in the winter when my skin is a special shade of white called “extra paste-y.”
However, I feel like traditional lipsticks are too formal for my lifestyle, while lip glosses are too young for my age. That’s where lip “glazes” come in. One that has been my faithful companion for many years is Clinique’s Almost Lipstick in Black Honey. It’s $19, but looks like a million dollars with its elegant silver stick.
The Pros of Clinique:
- One stick lasts a very long time, so that $19 actually goes a long way
- The glaze offers the not-too-thick, not-too-thin lip coverage that I’m thinking for
- It does not have a smell or taste (this bothers me with some lipsticks and glosses)
- I absolutely love the silver packaging — it just feels rich and heavy in my hand!
The Cons of Clinique:
- It often sticks to my teeth (not a good look)
- Clinique is owned by Estee Lauder, which ain’t that pretty
In searching out an alternative, I asked my friends at Terra20 what product they would recommend that could provide me with a similar performance and price point. They suggested 100% Pure Lip Glaze. So I popped in to check it out and bought a shade called Coquette.
The Pros of 100% Pure:
- It is exactly the same price as my current brand, so that makes it an easy switch
- It too offers a not-too-thick, not-too-thin lip coverage that I like
- No smell or taste to bother me
- It doesn’t stick to my teeth at all (hooray!)
- It does not contain any of the “Mean 15” ingredients (for more info, the 100% Pure site)
The Cons of 100% Pure:
- Its packaging isn’t elegant like Clinique’s
So, I am happy with my switch. I consider this cosmetics quest for a greener and cleaner lip colour to be complete!